Saturday, November 8, 2008

End of the Liminal Phase

Hmmm, how am I feeling right now? What a very good question, because I feel I am in a weird place at the moment. One day past the baby's "due date" and possibly 11 more days to go. There's a heightened awareness that I'm at the end of my liminal phase. I'm standing in a forest as Mother Nature Personified where my path has ended. Everything is verdant and lush around me and the wind is still. I want to walk out of the forest into the clearing that will become my transition, but I can't because the baby is still not here. My journey in the forest is done (e.g. maternity leave officially begun, several meals cooked up and in the freezer, all hospital bags packed and waiting in guest bedroom, all the furniture/nappies/clothing procured, washed and awaiting its new owner and other pregnant initiates now new mothers themselves).


Instead of moving out of the forest, I stand in one place, shuffling my feet, looking up at the sky and thinking I should probably enjoy the calm while it is here. "Take deep breaths. Be patient. Enjoy the air." All things I console myself with. And the thing is, I don't even know what the weather is like once I can transition through to the clearing? Stormy and unsettled, devoid of others? Clear and beautiful with familiar others? A bit of both? I don't know. I just know I'm standing still at the of my liminal path wondering when the special magic surrounding a mother and newborn child can begin.

2 comments:

Kara Forristall said...

he'll be here safe and sound before you know it... I'm eager to meet him through his first pics =)Good luck in the delivery room Jen!

Jen said...

Thanks, Kara! I'll be sure to keep you updated. =)